- Professional Stump Removal since 1998 in Calgary, Alberta
- Prompt Service, Flexible Scheduling
- Pricing quote with a 3 minute phone conversation (8am-8pm)
- Storm Damage Specialist for Up Rooted / Blown Over Stumps
- Grind stump 8-12” below ground level
- Turf friendly machines
- 35 hp Residential grinder (35” wide)
- 25 hp Narrow grinder for tight access (25” wide)
- 85 hp Grinder for large caliper and high production (35” wide)
- SECOR Safety Program, WCB, Liability Insurance
- ISA Certified Arborist (PR-4868A)
- Owner Operator – Russell Smella
Stump Solution is a dedicated service that professionally removes tree stumps in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Using our turf-friendly specialized machines, Stump Solution grinds the tree stump into mulch, removing the stump 8 to 12 inches below ground level. This enables the property to be reclaimed back to grass or flower beds. We have various machines to efficiently and effectively grind stumps in all conditions. Our tight access machine is only 25” wide to accommodate hard to reach situations. Our 35hp standard residential machine is used in the bulk of our work. We also have a high production 85hp machine that efficiently grinds large caliper stumps as well as multiple stumps found on acreages, golf courses, land clearing projects and municipalities.
Stump Solution has been owned and operated by Russell Smella since 1998. Initially, the business was established as RLS Stump Removal, but recently renamed itself to Stump Solution. Over the years, we have assisted thousands of Calgary homeowners and businesses remove their stumps.
We are called professionals because we are experienced, have the proper equipment and hold ourselves to the highest level of standards and expectations. Our first concern is with safety and property protection. Stump grinders are dangerous machines with lots of moving parts and flying debris. We ensure spectators are a safe distance away and shields are in place to contain debris from flying into windows, cars, or other property while the stump is being removed. Stump Solution has implemented a safety program though the Alberta Constructions Safety Association. This accreditation is known as SECOR (Small Employer Certificate of Recognition) and is recertified annually.
Russell Smella is an ISA Certified Arborist (PR-4868A). Although stump removal is only one aspect of the tree industry, it is important to be knowledgeable in all aspects of tree care. Along with knowledge, an ISA Arborist also adheres to a code of ethics that is reflective in Stump Solution’s business practices. This is also what sets us apart from less qualified competitors.
With over 10 years of stump grinding experience, we are prudent that existing landscapes are treated with respect. We ensure that our customers are happy with our work. Stump grinding is our sole business.
Stump Solution carries 2 million dollars liability insurance. Fortunately, we have never had to make a claim and are dedicated to proper work practices to continue this track record. Along with liability insurance, all of our employees are covered with WCB (Workers Compensation Board). Once again, we have never had to make a claim
What is stump removal? How is the tree stump removed?
Stump Solution has a turf-friendly specialized machine that will grind your stump 8 -12 inches below ground level. When we are done, you will be left with wood chips/ mulch.
The machine does NOT pull the tree stump out of the ground.
What happens to the tree roots?
Exposed surface roots may also be ground out, however there may be an additional cost.
Questions we may ask you before we start:
• Is your stump located in the front or backyard?
• Does access to the stump include a gate at least 36” wide?
• Does access to the stump include any steps or grade changes?
• Is the stump cut to ground level? How high is the stump off the ground?
• What type of tree was removed?
• Are there any exposed surface roots that need to be removed?
• What is the diameter of the stump at the last chainsaw cut?
What happens if my gate is not 36 inches wide?
• Our standard machines require an opening of 36 inches to enter. If the gate is smaller, we will ensure that we bring our narrow access machine measuring only 25 inches wide.
• Our narrow machine will fit through most man doors (garage doors) and can even go through the house if the situation dictates.
• We are very innovative to gain access to stumps. We have previously removed fence panels, ramped up or down walls or gone through neighbors yards prior to getting to your yard.
Will you travel outside of Calgary?
Stump Solution is more than willing and capable of traveling outside of Calgary for jobs. We are able to price these jobs over the phone with the aid of photo’s sent in by the customer. To help reduce the cost of travel to the customer, we recommend that we grind as many stumps as possible in that region. We have had great results by posting local advertisements in these communities “Stump Grinder Coming to Town.”
What happens to the mulch after the stump is removed?
If we only provide stump grinding services to you, the mulch will be raked back into a pile and left onsite (where the stump was). You can take advantage of using this mulch for garden beds, composts, or scattered under your trees for ground cover.
If you upgrade your service we can include mulch removal. Please note that we cannot leave a hole and can only remove the excess mulch to leave the area flat.
How much mulch will I have?
This is dependent on the type of tree that existed before, which may range from a wheelbarrow load to a truckload. For example, poplar trees and spruce trees that are mounded tend to leave behind more mulch. This also assumes that the stump is cut at ground level.
Typically the pile turns out to be as high as the stump was wide. For instance the average stump that is removed in Calgary is 20 – 24 inch wide and will result in a pile approximately 3 feet wide and 2 feet high.
Why don’t you include hauling mulch in your initial price?
It has been industry standard to leave the mulch on site after stump grinding. We try to give our customers the best possible price by performing stump grinding not dealing with the aspects of disposal. In some cases if you are having extensive landscaping done this mulch will be removed with the site prep from the landscapers. Mulch hauling is available and pricing typically ranges between $75 and $150.
Do I have to be home when you grind out my stump?
Most of our customers are not present when we grind stumps out on their property. We will leave you an invoice in the mailbox and you can mail us a cheque, call in a credit card or send an e-mail transfer.
What methods of payment does RLS Stump Removal accept?
VISA, Mastercard, Personal Cheque, E-mail Transfer, and old fashioned Cash
Rental vs. Hiring Us
It is possible to rent a stump grinder from an equipment rental shop.
The objective of renting a stump grinder machine yourself is to save money. However, Stump Solution is priced to compete with the rental shop without the hassles of you doing the work.
Things to consider prior to renting
• Rental stump grinders are heavy and awkward to maneuver.
• A truck is required to transport rental stump grinders to and from the rental shop. (Don’t forget to rent the ramp to get the grinder into the truck.)
• Travel time to and from the rental shop is included in your rental time.
• Rental stump grinders are labour intensive because they are basic machines (1970’s design) without hydraulic controls. This means that the renter will be manually pushing the machine back and forth.
• Rental shops to do not rent debris shields to protect your property from flying wood chips / rocks.
• It is NOT in the best interest of the rental shop to have a machine with sharp teeth (average cost of a replacement set of teeth is $280.00). Thus, the rental machines will cut slower and require more effort. It is like trying to use a butter knife to cut through a tough steak.
• Most Do-It-Yourselfers will find they are rushed to complete the job and return the machine before the rental rate doubles.
• If you happen to miss a root or part of the stump, you have to repeat the whole process over or start cutting it out with an axe. Stump Solution guarantees our work and will return to make it right.
Why hire Stump Solution?
• We have upfront fixed pricing (not hourly). You know what you are paying prior to us starting. We can price your job with a 3 minute phone conversation.
• Our machines are professional grade, which means the job gets done properly the first time by an experienced and trained operator.
• It is our best interest to arrive with sharp teeth on our machines, because we can grind deeper & faster and complete your job efficiently.
• Our schedule is flexible. In the event you need immediate service, we will fit you in.
• You will support a local small business.
RLS Stump Removal
Where is RLS Stump Removal?
RLS Stump Removal was established in 1998 to serve Calgary and area by Russell Smella. From the beginning, Russell has been focused on providing reliable, professional and timely service to tree professionals and residential customers in Calgary and the surrounding area.
Changing our name from RLS Stump Removal to Stump Solution was a purpose filled decision. We know that our previous customers can still find us at the same contact phone number, but we want to ensure that new customers will recall our name and reputation easier. Our dedication to the tree care industry has ensured that we are Calgary’s Stump Solution.
Russell Smella is still the owner and operator of the business. All of our contact information – phone, e-mail and mailing address remains the same. Most importantly, the quality of our work remains the same too.
Time Lapse of the entire operation:
Close Up of the Action on a 4 Foot Stump:
Contact us for a stump removal quote.
Mailing Address: Suite 186, 234-5149 Country Hills Blvd NW Calgary, Alberta,
Canada T3A 5K8
For immediate assistance, please call Russell direct between 8:00 am and
8:00 pm, the web contact forms will be replied to within 24 hours.